A burst of colour and flavour is what we crave from summer’s bounty. The plant-forward and pescatarian fare in Diala’s Kitchen by blogger Diala Canelo deliver, and are easy to prep, leaving you time to savour the season.
Photography: Diala Canelo
- 1 day-old medium loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 large garlic clove, cut in half
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 balls (8 oz each) buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced 1⁄4-inch thick
- Sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut the bread into thick slices. Rub each slice with the garlic, then cut the slices into 1-inch cubes. Discard the garlic clove. Spread the bread on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the bread and toss until evenly coated. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through.
Place the vine-ripened and cherry tomatoes on a platter. Scatter with the basil and mix together. Then scatter the mozzarella and croutons on top. Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the salad. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.