Summer’s perennial favourite stars in this sweet-tart treat.
Photography: Maya Visnyei | Food Styling: Claire Stubbs | Prop Styling: Catherine Doherty
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp each cinnamon and salt
- 3 tbsp + 1 1⁄2 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 large stalks rhubarb, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths (about 1 1⁄4 cups)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet.
In small bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; using a fork, mix in butter until moistened. Set aside.
In large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture until combined. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top. Sprinkle with streusel; arrange rhubarb over top.
Bake until top is golden and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve while still warm.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.