Beets, pumpkin seeds and feta cheese mingle on a bed of greens for a salad that’s just right for the season.
- 4 lbs beets, mixed colours
- 1⁄2 cup + 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups packed watercress leaves
- 1⁄4 cup House Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1⁄4 cup Salted Pumpkin Seeds (see recipe below)
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove and discard the greens from the beets, leaving about 1⁄2 inch of the stems. Scrub the beets, pat dry with paper towels and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the salt. Place the beets in a large roasting pan along with 1⁄4 cup water. Cover the pan tightly with foil and roast the beets until tender when pierced with a knife, about 40 minutes. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel, then slice into wedges; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining olive oil with the sherry vinegar and shallot. Add the beets and stir well to coat. Refriger- ate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Drain the beets and discard the marinade.
3. In a medium serving bowl, gently toss the beets with the watercress; add the House Vinaigrette and toss again. Garnish with the Salted Pumpkin Seeds and feta. Season with salt and pepper; serve.