A burst of colour and flavour is what we crave from summer’s bounty. The plant-forward and pescatarian fare in Diala’s Kitchen by blogger Diala Canelo deliver, and are easy to prep, leaving you time to savour the season.
Photography: Diala Canelo
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups tightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
In a food processor, combine the basil, parsley, garlic, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Blend into a paste.
With the motor running, stream in the olive oil and blend for about 10 seconds. Add the lemon zest and juice and blend for 5 seconds.
Scrape the pesto into a medium bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Store in a clean jar with a lid or in a covered container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 4 months. If using from frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight.
Makes 2 cups.