Adeline Waugh’s new cookbook, Vibrant & Pure, celebrates her taste for simple whole foods prepared as a feast for the eyes, as well as the palate.
Photography: Adeline Waugh
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled raw beets
- 1⁄4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1⁄4 tsp onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced, for garnish
- 1 small radish, sliced, for garnish
1. Heat 1⁄2 teaspoon of the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the garlic, red onion, turmeric and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the remaining 2 1⁄2 teaspoons of avocado oil along with the sweet potato, carrots, beets, remaining salt, chipotle powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fork-tender.
3. Clear a space in the centre of the skillet, add the eggs and scramble to desired doneness. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
4. To serve, top with avocado and radish slices.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.
Find more bright and brilliant Adeline Waugh recipes in Vibrant & Pure (Amazon, $18.75).